26 May 2012

Day 1: The "Other Side" of Miracle Economic Growth

See the following article for background information: The Downside of Growth: Law, Policy and China's Environmental Crisis by Alex Wang

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see and realise that economic growth does not come without its consequences and ripple effects

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see and realise that what goes in must also go out

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see and realise that when pushing for economic growth that this means increasing pressure on the environment, the Earth and its resources

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have created a world where the only number that counts as value is that of money -- where all countries are competing with their GDPs as to "who" will have the highest rate of growth -- who will be the winner and who will be the loser

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see and realise that growth and production requires resources -- and within that I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see and realise that "miracle growth" can only be accompanied with "grand decay" where for instance the miracle growth of China came with the price of acid rain affecting arable land moving from 18% to 40%

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have become obsessed with the idea of growth without taking into considerations the implications and consequences of undertaking such a goal

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to be so indulged with achieving high economic growth rates that I don't mind sending countless amounts of people as emergency cases to the hospital

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see and realise that economic growth and higher GDP does not mean better living standards for ALL

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to completely disregard the physical reality, the living beings and organism where economic growth comes at the cost of polluting the environment to the extent where the air we breathe hurts the eyes and lungs

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have become completely blinded by the pursuit of profit, production and growth and within that not take into consideration that this pursuit leaves countless amounts of animals endangered and extinct

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to rape the earth in the name of economic growth without taking into consideration the long term and permanent lasting effects such as water pollution, killing of animals, deforestation, desertification, soil erosion, lowering of environmental quality leading to disease and premature deaths

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to only consider growth in the "economic" sense -- a sense which is actually invisible and "made-up" by human beings as a separate entity "out there" and within that neglect and abuse growth in the physical sense in terms of the earth, nature, animals, plants and human beings -- causing deteriorating effects on the health of the planet and everything and everyone living upon it

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to value an invisible made up entity more than what is really here as the physical, as life

I forgive myself that I haven't accepted and allowed myself to see and realise that infinite economic growth and finite resources cannot co-exist in the same reality

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to delude myself into believing that through the forces of the market we are able to "transcend" physical limitations as finite available resources

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to have created a separate mind reality of perfect markets and rational economic agents where resources are distributed just the way they should be which does not at all match the actual situation on earth

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to rather want reality to adjust to fit my theory instead of being humble and admit that my theory does not match reality and that maybe I should reconsider the current economic system to actually suit the situation on Earth


I commit myself to exposing the consequences and side effects of pursuing economic growth over the overall well being of the Earth and all its inhabitants

I commit myself to breaking down and deconstructing the current world economic system and reconstruct an economic system which suits Life on Earth for REAL

I commit myself to design, construct and implement a world economic system which will distribute the Earth's resources in a way that is Best for All and not just in a way where the resources follow those with money

I commit myself to re-defining value where I let go of my old values of self-interest and growth of grandeur for down to earth values concerning the Earth and its inhabitants within the principle of what is Best for All

I commit myself to investigate and study how the physical reality works in order to be able to implement economic policies which do not have damaging effects to Life on Earth

I commit myself to the construction and implementation of an Equal Money System where resources are managed in a responsible and considerate way -- for all those living now and those of the future

I commit myself to educate myself and others on how the physical reality operates so we may realise the ginormous crimes that we are committing through our ignorance and lack of consideration for All Life

I commit myself to put beings over numbers

I commit myself to change the current World System where only the wants, needs and desires of humans are used as a measuring stick of value to a World Economic System where LIFE is the only measuring stick of value

I commit myself to the implementation of a World System where all is taken care of, including our environment

I commit myself to a World System where we support the environment, the earth, the animals and the plants -- the same way as they support us as human beings

1 comment: